Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Overnight Field Trip

I am going to vent for a little bit. I am taking seven students on an overnight field trip in March and it stresses me out. We are going for BPA which is a competitive club for business and computer students. Last year went pretty smooth but I am always looking for pointers. I am really concerned because my coordinator at my school wants me to take them and not take another chaperone. That would be fine but there are times I have to judge events and my students will be left unattended. I feel a little uncomfortable about that. My coordinator is really pushing for me to go by myself but it just makes me a little nervous. Has anyone else had a similar situation or have comments that might help my situation.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Amy, I think that you should really talk with this person about all of your concerns-especially when you know that there will be times that they will be unattended! Continue to say that you are uncomfortable about this and you want to make sure that your students gain the full benefit of this trip as much as possible. But, the only way to do this--is to ask for help--that way you don't have to be a "babysitter"! You want to be there as a teacher not have to worry about your students 24-7! Just continue to express your concerns and "HOPEFULLY"-they will be met appropriately! Good Luck!

KB said...

I have never been in this situation before. However, you have a right to feel comfortable about this. After all, you are the one responsible for the students not your advisor. Perhaps try emphasizing that you are concerned about student safety since you have obligations that will leave them unattended. Maybe by focusing on student well being your advisor will see why you are uncomfortable. I hope you are able to have a chaperone.

Anonymous said...

I also agree that you should have a chaperon attend this trip with you. Are there any parents that are willing to attend? What grade are the students in? Are there males and females that are going to attend? How will you get there? That's alot of responsibility for anybody. I really hope that things work out the way that you want them to.